Methylated spirits, also known as denatured alcohol, has a wide range of uses due to its properties as a solvent, fuel, and cleaning agent. Here are some common uses of methylated spirits:
- Cleaning agent: Methylated spirits can be used to clean a variety of surfaces, including glass, metal, and plastic. It can be used to remove grease, oil, and other types of dirt from surfaces.
- Disinfectant: Methylated spirits can be used as an antiseptic and disinfectant to clean wounds and sterilize equipment. It is commonly used in the healthcare industry for this purpose.
- Fuel: Methylated spirits can be used as a fuel for camping stoves, chafing dishes, and other heating appliances. It burns cleanly and is a good alternative to traditional fuels such as kerosene and propane.
- Solvent: Methylated spirits is an effective solvent for a variety of substances, including paint, varnish, and shellac. It is often used in the painting industry to clean brushes and other equipment.
- De-icer: Methylated spirits can be used to de-ice car windows and other surfaces. It can be applied with a cloth or spray bottle to quickly remove ice and frost.
- Sterilizing agent: Methylated spirits can be used to sterilize surfaces in laboratories and other scientific settings.